Morning Meetings Monday Style


Every Monday morning we have an office meeting. Everyone checks in with what they are doing and how they are progressing. This is so my director can get a good handle on where everyone is at with their duties.

In this past Monday morning's meeting I suggested that maybe this is something my coworkers and I should be doing every morning. Why not start the day off knowing what everyone is doing and what our tasks should be? It is an excellent way to improve communication throughout the office. 

This went over surprisingly well. #WIN

Yesterday we had our first morning meeting and I found it to be EXTREMELY helpful. Not only did everyone leave the meeting knowing exactly what they had to do for the day, but we also knew what everyone else had on their plate. This is helpful when you are considering asking another person for extra help because you then know whether or not they will be able to handle the load from the conversations you had in the morning.

There is even a website dedicated to daily morning meetings called the Scrum Institute. You can even become a "Scrum Master." According to the website, for a daily scrum meeting/daily standup meeting, "All team members should attend and they should stand during the meeting. The daily Scrum meeting should ideally not last more than 15 minutes. On the other no issues or concerns raised during the meeting are allowed to be ignored due to the lack of time. Issues or concerns ought to be recorded by the Scrum Master and needs to be specifically handled after the meeting (scrum-institute.org, 2017)."

I knew about these meetings because my husband is a web developer and daily scrum meetings are what they do in the tech world. It's part of their process. My current organization is the second company I have introduced the stand-up meeting to, the first being a complete success. I'm looking forward to seeing whether or not we continue to be successful where I am at now.

The next challenge? To do the stand-up meeting as I did at the former company ...


Challenge Accepted!


References:

no author. (2017). Daily Scrum Meeting/Daily Stand-Up Meeting. www.scrum-institute.org. Retrieved from http://www.scrum-institute.org/Daily_Scrum_Meeting.php

Comments