Down with the Digital

This is the final week of my Capstone project and I'm finding it to be a bit bittersweet. In four short weeks I've made much less change than I had hoped. Well, I guess I've made PLENTY of change, just not the kind I had hoped.

What I've learned so far ...


So the question I'm asking myself right now is, where have I gone wrong?

What can I do better in this last week?

What NEEDS to change?

My focus has so far been on digital change. It's been on making things more efficient digitally and making it easier to communicate through the keyboards on our desks.

Have I succeeded? I guess that's all in how one views success. In my opinion, I haven't NOT succeeded, but I surely didn't get the kind of success I was looking for.

I'm a tech geek. I'm fully aware of it. I consider technological advances to be of upmost use in the working environment. The more we can drive changes in communication via technology the better our efficiency will be.

In a survey done by Pew Research Center they found that "Just 7% of working online adults feel their productivity has dropped because of the internet, email and cell phones, while 46% feel more productive (Purcell, K. and Rainie, L., 2014)."

Unfortunately, in a week like this past week, when email hasn't been completely available, it makes it hard to be productive. Hopefully *knock on wood* the email problem has been fixed and we can move forward very soon, but I think it's time to change my tune.

So my focus this coming week is to be on non-digital forms of communication.

The Society for Human Resource Management states that, "Face-to-face meetings with employees are one of the best ways to relay sensitive information. During layoffs or restructuring or when handling employee performance issues, face-to-face communication is generally preferred."

Now I do not intend to give any bad news as the likes, but I do believe that this week I will be getting up from my desk more to communicate with my coworkers. I will admit that in the past, when I have done this, they seem quite more receptive to whatever it is I have to say.

So we shall see where this week goes and if I can still manage to incite any sort of change.

Here's wishing me luck!


References:
Purcell, Kristen and Rainie, Lee. (2014, Dec 30). Technology's Impact on Workers.  Pew Research Center. Retrieved from http://www.pewinternet.org/2014/12/30/technologys-impact-on-workers/
No Authur. (2015, Dec 11). Managing Organizational Communication. Society for Human Resource Management. Retrieved from: https://www.shrm.org/resourcesandtools/tools-and-samples/toolkits/pages/managingorganizationalcommunication.aspx

Comments