Curiouser and Curiouser

As I am still on the battlefield with getting email up to par, I'm quickly finding that there are SOOOO many ways to communicate and such little time to do it in. Luckily, we finally settled on an email platform so more of my time can go back to being devoted to the things that matter and less to being a "techie." Which is great, but there was still a lesson in how our choice for which service to use came about.

Much of the story I have already told, but in truth, how we arrived at our conclusion was quite curious indeed. I appreciate how my director gave me the option to approach both providers with equal opportunity, that is to say, I was able to put both options in front of my fellow employees and gather input on what we liked the best.

Although in the beginning I was almost positive everyone was going to appreciate GSuite the best, I was proved wrong completely. My coworkers didn't like having to login to a website rather than just open up the application. They were unhappy with losing all their contacts. There was frustration with having to get to get used to a whole new platform in general. It was clear within a very short time span which was the preferred method of email retrieval.

I say this was curious because my boss knew from the beginning that Office365 was most likely going to win our hearts, yet he still gave GSuites a chance. He looked to his team before making a final decision and, though it should not be curious at all, he learned exactly what he needed to know. GSuites wasn't the platform for our office.

I suppose I could feel defeated because what I thought to be ended up being false, but in fact I felt just the opposite. I felt inspired and looked forward to making my coworkers happy by updating their current software and giving them back exactly what they wanted. Perhaps they didn't even know how much they wanted it to begin with. I know I didn't.

In the book, Yes! 50 Scientifically Proven Ways to Be Persuasive, authors Noah J. Goldstein, Steve J. Martin and Robert B. Cialdini, state that, Those who arrange for regular team input can expect to achieve better outcomes. In addition, they can expect better relationships and rapport with their team, which enhances future collaboration and influence." 

My director, instead of just making an executive decision, allowed us all to work together and put forth our findings before actually making the final choice. Perhaps this meant little to the rest of the team, perhaps it was even an inconvenience for them, but to me, this curious matter of events meant that my opinion in my organization matters. And, although it wasn't me enhancing communication, I learned that there are indeed ways in which communication is on the right track.

Reference:
Goldstein, Noah J., Martin, Steve J., and Cialdini, Robert B.. (2008). Yes! 50 Scientifically Proven Ways to Be Persuasive. FreePress. New York. (Kindle Loc 1140)

Comments