Email Communication or Lack Thereof

One of the biggest struggles to communication I have encountered upon entering my job has not been people, it has been the fascinating yet, more importantly, frustrating world of technology.

Basically I can get my email on my personal Microsoft Surface, which is NOT an actual computer and does not do all the things an actual computer can do, yet I cannot get the email on the laptop they gave me at work.

I've spent way too many hours, yes I said hours, trying to get my email to work properly that I finally brought it up with my Director. He validated my concern and made mention that he had been wanting to switch over to Google Business, or GSuites, he just hasn't had the time.

Thursday I got so upset with trying to get the email to work that I put my laptop in "time out" behind my desk and refused to use it again for the rest of the day. Friday I decided to try one more time and after almost getting it to work I may have let out a large, defeated sigh and decided to suggest to my boss, "Don't you think it would be more worth my time to just try setting up Google Business than keep failing to get my email to work?" To my delight, he agreed. 

We decided we'd do the trial of GSuite and then the Trial of MS365, compare and then choose the best option for our office.

Turns out setting up Google Business email is quite a bit of a task as well, but it's a start in the right direction. In an article called, 18 Reasons Every Company Should Use Gmail, my favorite reason was by far number 3: "Gmail is reliable. You will rarely read the words 'Gmail is down.' Google's technology offers users 99.978% availability and no scheduled downtime." This as compared to the 100% of downtime I experienced this week unless I was using two computers at once. And according TechCrunch.com, as of January  2017, more than 3 Million businesses were paying for GSuite. So there must be something good about it.

We Shall See

I Shall Report




References:
Desk, Web. (2017, July 14). 18 Reasons Why Every Company Should Use Gmail. Pakwired.com. Retrieved from: https://pakwired.com/18-reasons-every-company-use-gmail/
Lardinois, F. (2017). More than 3M businesses now pay for Google’s G Suite. Retrieved from: https://techcrunch.com/2017/01/26/more-than-3m-businesses-now-pay-for-googles-g-suite/

Comments

  1. I honesty haven't tried out google business but it seems that slowly I'm starting to use more of the features on google. Started with email than the drive to organize the email. Then for school it has made group projects sooo much easier with the document and slides options. There is one thing that google is good at and it's understanding the day to day operations of most people and make things user friendly, so I would have to guess that google business is half way decent. Let me know!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't used Google Business so I cannot say if it is great or disappointing, but I use Google's gmail for personal emails all the time and have found it to be far superior than any other email platform I've tried when it comes to using it across multiple platforms. Microsoft Exchange's Outlook is still my preference when it comes to my business email. I love the "rules" feature to customize how the program behaves and haven't found its equal within gmail (perhaps it is within GSuites?). I have struggled with Microsoft's 365 Outlook version syncing flawlessly across multiple platforms.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is my biggest fear with 365. I switched my last company over to it and it was NOT seemless. It was actually a bit of a mess. I'm not so much looking forward to going through that again if 365 is what we choose.

      Delete

Post a Comment